
After checking out Forest's blog, I found the post on Phillip Toledano. I went to his website (http://www.dayswithmyfather.com) and looked at his series. I immediately fell in love with the deep devotion and meaning behind this project and how personal it was for him. There is one quote from the series that strikes me as absolutely beautiful "I feel lucky to have had these last three years. To have left nothing unsaid. To know that we loved each other nakedly, without embarrassment." I feel that these are a lot of aspects of life and death that people always wish they could redo when they loose a loved one.
I take this project to heart because my grandparents are in a similar situation. My grandmother has alzheimer's and is slowly deteriorating while my frail grandfather is taking care of her, while dismissing his own health. When I see two people that sincerely love each other and have been together for 50 + years, that truly captures the vow "till death do us part." I know they will be together until one of them passes because of that vow they made and the unconditional love they have for one another. I have been toying with the idea to photograph them as a personal project to show selfless my grandfather is to take care of his ailing wife due to how much he loves that woman. I find this action to be inspiring and captivating because of how many people, nowadays, that take the word "love" for granted and have no idea what it truly means to love someone, unconditionally.
I'm glad you were as moved as I was. The desire to be as connected to our work as Toledano was runs deep.
ReplyDelete